[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: keyless entry/alarm system

>>I'd like to install a keyless entry/alarm system in a '96 318ti Sport.
>>What systems are available in the market and how do they compare to the
>>dealer's?  I have read in previous issues that installing a CD changer is
>>a piece of cake.  What about the alarm system(it's pre-wired)?  What is
>>involved and any specific tools?  Costs?

The vehicle is pre-wired for the BMW keyless entry kit (P/N
82-11-1-469-444) for MY 1996 318's built this year. While the car is
pre-wired, the installation is considerably more involved than the
CD-changer. The CD-changer took me about 45 minutes to install, while
the keyless-entry kit took me about 2 hours. The installation procedure
for your 318 is slightly different than that for my 328, but it didn't
seem any more difficult.

The instructions for the kit advise that you have the unit installed by
the dealer; however, I didn't have any problems. No special tools were
required. The job is not too difficult if you are patient, careful, and
somewhat mechanically inclined.

Good luck,
Vahan
1996 328i Sport