[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: <02> Vibration

> The cutting-out got violent at times before I could get home to fix the
> problem.  After I changed the fuel filter and was driving the next day, I
> noticed a lot of vibration while at speed, when I take my foot off the
> gas.  Also, a clunking at low speed take-offs going up steep hills.  I
> checked the motor mounts and they seem to be OK, Could this vibration and
> clunking be from drive-line being out of wack?  Any suggestions?

Most BMWs of age have guibos (flex discs) in various states of
disintegration. Typically, fairly minor cracking (fairly common) does not
cause discernable drive line shudder.

In your case, I would be suspect of the flex disc. There's a fair chance
that all that jerking caused by fuel cut out played havoc on a flex disc
that was starting to crack. The shudder caused by a fairly hammered flex
disc can very well catch your attention if not convince you that the car
is shaking apart.

The good news is the part is cheap and easy to fix...

Filippo
E28 M5 (regretably for sale)
ex '76 '02