[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

From: eric <SamsDad@domain.elided>
Date: Mon, 09 Sep 1996 16:23:49 -0700
Subject: Creaky steering on 1986 E28 5series

>Eric asked why his steering creaks like a haunted house on his 1986 E28 =
5 series....heres my experience of the same thing.....

I had exactly the same problem until 6 months ago on my 1986 525i.
I had the creaking sound when parking, and I alao had a knocking sound wh=
en going over small bumps.

The creaking stopped when I squirted sparay grease hehind the rubber boot=
s of the ball-joints on the antiroll bar links. If you look behind the fr=
ont roadwheels there is a 8 inch long thin vertical metal bar with a ball=
 joint at each end, they connect the hub/strut assembly to the anti-roll =
bar.

As they wear, and the grease dries they creak and rattle, the spray of gr=
ease is really only for diagnostics and the links will need replacing.

I also had very worn upper and lower control arms, (those cast bars that =
you'll also see.) The way to test these, is to roll down a hill at about =
5mph with someone walking alongside, and keep stabbing the brake pedal so=
 that the car lurches up and down. Get the observer to see if the wheels =
move forwards and backwards excessively within the wheelarch.

I hope this helps, any questions jut mail me.