[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

bmw-digest V5 #202 -Reply:BCT-10 Scanner/Tracker

Cheng

Don't waste your money!  I bought one of these units based on its
supposed ability to detector highway patrol radio proximity.  It actually
tracks a frequency from the officers hand held radio transmitting back
to the cars mobil unit.  In this mode, the mobil unit acts as a repeater.
This remote/repeater mode must be enabled before the Uniden
BCT-10 will track as advertised.  The bad news - only the most
absentminded officer drives around with is radio in this mode.  If he
has switched to this mode, he's most likely away from his vehicle and
not currently 'working the streets'.  During three weeks of use
through 3 states, the thing never alarmed once!

The unit itself was nice as long as you bought it for the scanner and
the weather bands.  The scanner is pre-programmed with the known
frequencies used by police, highway patrol and sheriff of each state.
You select a state and it will scan only those frequencies programmed
for that state.

That wasn't the reason I bought mine so I sent it back.  I put the $190.00
towards a Valentine One.  (They are currently on back order.  I've been
waiting for 2 weeks and it will probably be at least another week in
case anybody else has coaxed $400 out of the wife by promising to
stop reading back issues of Roundel until 2 AM.)

Mark Casper (Mcasper@domain.elided)
'88 ///M5  (The ULTIMATE Driving Machine)
'94 530i