[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re:

> You wrote:
> As for pad squeal, I always bevel the edges of the pads before
> installing them and have never had a problem in this area
> either.  My current set give off a very tiny squeal the first
> time I use them when they are cold and I never hear a sound out
> of them after that.  On this car (the 635CSi) I have been
> getting about 60,000 miles on a set of pads.
>
> Could you tell me how to bevel my pads. I've got a terrible squeal.
> Do you bevel the tops and bottoms of them? All the way around. What
> do you use to do it? I have repco metalmasters.

I normally use a woodworker's rasp to bevel the pads.  The rasp
is just a very coarse file and I have found a rasp with a curved
side is handy for the edges of the pads that are not straight.
You could probably do it with some coarse sandpaper also if you
wanted to (I would use something on the order of 60 grit or less).
The pad material is relatively soft (compared to metal or wood)
and is very easy to bevel.

I just put the pads in a vise to hold them and put about a 45
degree bevel on all the edges.  It's probably only needed on the
top and bottom but I was taught (by a BMW factory trained master
mechanic) to do all 4 sides.  On a new set of pads, I usually wind
up with about a 1/4" wide bevel all the way around.  It's not
very important exactly how wide the bevel is or how uniform you
get it.  Basically, you are just trying to knock off the sharp
edges at the boundaries of the pads.  It is these sharp edges that
"catch" on the rotor and cause the squeal as they vibrate.

I have been using the Repco Deluxe pads so I can't guarantee this
will work on your MetalMasters but it is worth a try.

Don Mies
85 635CSi (The latest of 8 BMWs) - Wonderful car!!
Thinking (very hard) about a Z3