[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 635 Trailer Hitch

> I saw your posting on the 6 trailer hitch.  I was trying to find
> a hitch for my 83-733 and it didn't look like anything was
> available except a Class 1. I also have an 83-633, but would
> rather put the hitch on the 7.

I suspect you'll run into the same "you want to do WHAT?" response
in regard to your 733 and it will probably take a custom hitch as
well.

> Is your 2000# trailer double axle?  What is your approx. tounge
> weight (or boat description)?  Do you remember the name of the
> place that made it?  I am in Sacramento, CA.  Seems like you got
> a good price.   My boat is a 17 1/2 foot Starfire I.O. on a
> single axle trailer, and I am currently towing it with a 72
> TBird with a Class 2 hitch.  Weight is slightly over 2,000 when
> carrying gas & gear and I would guess the tounge weight is over
> 200.

I usually pull a single axle tent trailer that weighs approx.
2,000 lbs. with a tongue weight of about 200 lbs.  I am also in
the process of getting a car trailer with similar specs except
that it will be a double axle setup.

It may make a difference that I have stiff (Alpina) springs on the
car with Bilstein Sport shocks.  I'm sure the maximum tongue
weight will vary with the type of springs (especially on the
rear).  My car still sits fairly flat with the 200 lb. tongue
weight applied to it.

I don't remember the name of the place the put the hitch on.  It
is in Southern California (Irvine).  If you really want it, I can
look it up in my files.  I found the place as a referral from a
large RV supply house in the area.  You might try asking around in
your area at the RV supply centers.

As far as the price, I had mine put on about 10 years ago so I'm
sure the prices are higher now.

> Also, did you have to put in a limited slip differential in order
> to pull your boat out of steeper ramps?  What about
> modificiations to rear suspension?
>
> Gene M.

I'm not pulling a boat so this was not an issue for me but my car
does have a limited slip differential in it already (it came that
way new).  No other modifications were necessary (other than the
springs and shocks already mentioned) when I put the hitch on.

BTW, I would recommend putting the hitch on a vehicle with an
automatic transmission.  I have a 5-speed in mine and there have
been times when I have had to slip the clutch and got real worried
when I could start to smell it.  So far, I haven't done any
damage, but it does worry me when I have to do it.

Don Mies
635 CSi (Most recent of 8 BMWs)
Thinking about a Z3