[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<Cops and robbers thread> & RE: Come On

*** Sorry for the bandwidth, again :), this is my last waste of space, I promise
(in this thread anyway) ***

Steve Castro-Miller wrote (among other things),

<<... Calling someone a fu***** a**hole seems unnecessary ...>>

My response and some additional comments,

OK, OK, maybe I overreacted a little with the name calling.  Unfortunately I
have had many bad experiences with cops and one in particular with the traffic
court around here in Fairfax.  You know, when you need them they are unable to
perform because they are "underfunded" !!!  I don't know what their budgets are
and I am inclined to believe that they truly are underfunded.  However, if that
is so, then why don't they pay attention where it is needed and not spend their
time at Dunkin Donats and sitting in the bushes with radars ?  That is why to me
a cop (I stand corrected, a traffic cop) is the lowest form of life on this
planet.  They don't go after the dangerous people who are a menace to society,
they go after the ones who ... ???  Actually I don't know who they go after,
other than the ones who go over the speed limit on occasion.  The argument "I
don't pull anyone over who goes up to 15mph over the limit" is totally bogus.
Where the hell did he come up with 15mph, why not 16.5mph ?  Why not 12.75mph ?
Who the hell knows what is the lucky number for the cop who happens to be
guarding the bushes on Tuesday ?  Where did they get the idea that 55mph is safe
during a blizzard in February ?  How about perfect visibility day in June when
it's 75 degrees out, 55 is too fast ??? !!!!  And they say the US is a free
country - BS !

And then there is the issue of the cops actually (not all, but I know of several
privately) speeding themself when not in uniform (or in uniform for that
matter).  What is that !?  I don't even know where to start here, the subject is
so revolting (so I won't, in the interest of reader sanity and on-line real
estate value).  Just wanted to bring it up.

Anyway, I don't want to bloat the thread any more than it already is.  The whole
thing IS plain stupid, ridiculous, moronic, idiotic etc. etc.  Sorry for ranting
again.  The whole subject is very touchy for me.  Normally I am a sane person,
really. :) At least, when I haven't seen any traffic cops for a while :-\

At large I agree with Simon Kennedy that "...police are definitely, overall, a
force for good in society...".  Unfortunately the cop's public image is... well,
let's just say leaves a lot to be desired.   Which is ironic and not good at all
because the Police could get a lot more accomplished if they were actually liked
by the people they supposedly serve.  Not to mention their own psychological
well being (after all they are people too, well sort of anyway).

There are good examples of cop behavior that I can mention too (surprise !).
For one thing, here in northern VA. they have a fleet of cop cars with yellow
circus lights instead of the stars and stripes colors.  Those cop cars with
yellow lights are actually what I call the good cops, or the good guys.  They
cruise around on local highways and stop by stranded motorists standing
helplessly on the shoulder to render assistance.  It happened to me once (not in
the bimmer).  The guy was _very_ nice and helpful.  They have the ability to
call for a tow truck (to tow to a service center, not the impound lot !) or
otherwise check superficially for the problem with the car.  They can't write
tickets, they are there to help people (like it should be, right ?).  This is
great.  This is something that makes me feel really good about the taxes I am
paying to the County, State or whoever funds them and I'd be happy to buy any of
them lunch.  If this was the image projected by traffic cops to the people I bet
this thread wouldn't even start, or would be polarized 180 deg opposite.  And
think how many more really bad guys would be snagged by the cops freed up to do
some real cop work.

Chris

96' E36 328is Montreal Blue / Gray Leather
Sports Package, 5 Speed, AST, Heated Seats
Alpine / HK Sound & Security