[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: E36 rear wheel rub w/235 40 17 wheels

Dear Eddie and Chris,
	I'm driving my '96 318is with BBS RX 18" rim and 225/40-18. Also,
I've lowered my car with H&R sport, that lower my car 1.5" in front and 1" at
the rear. Note that I'm using 18", larger than 17", and 225 is wider than
215.
	I just have two people sit at the back and one passager(total of four
peoples). Also, two big suitcases in the trunk. Driving from St.Louis to
COlumbia, 120 miles, with no problem about rubbing.
	IMHO, I guess Eddie found a problem of rubbing because the
shock/spring from stock setup is not stiff enough. Therefore,  a slightly
rubbing was happended when too much weight.
	The rubbing is occured not only the larger wheel and/or lower a car,
but spring/shock stiffness is another factor that you need to consider. No
matter what the stock height or lower it, if spring/shock is not stiff
enough, there night be rubbing.
	Just my opinion.
CyberPOP

>From: Eddie Ruvinsky <ruvinsky@domain.elided>
>Date: Sun, 08 Sep 1996 22:52:50 -0700
>Subject: Re: E36 rear wheel rub w/235 40 17 wheels

>>From: Generic PTC User Account <cdodge@domain.elided>
>>Date: Tue, 03 Sep 1996 13:16:20 -0400
>>Subject: E36 rear wheel rub w/235 40 17 wheels
>>
>>If anyone has any experience with a lowered E36 with
>>larger 17 inch 235 40's I would greatly appreciate any
>>advice that you all may have.
>>
>>Thanks
>>Chris D.
>>93 325is

>Chris,
>Just last month I upgraded my wheels and tires last month from the stock 15"
>rims and 205 tires to 17x8 Racing Dynamics RGR rims and Dunlop 215/45 tires.
>Throwing around rim and tire sizes are the only factors that will determine
>whether or not you will have tire rubbing.  You have to consider the rims'
>offset.  In my case, the rims have a 33" (if I haven't forgotten already)
>offset, so I didn't go with 235/40 tires.  After driving the car for the
>past few weeks extensively, I have noticed that even with 215's I get a
>slight rub when I have two people sitting the rear and I go over a hill/bump
>too quickly.  Keep in mind that I have a '92 325i (4-door) with the stock
>setup (i.e., non-lowered).
>Good luck.

- --
CyberPOP.,,,                                       \|/
| '96 318is-ASC+T <E36-M42>                                      |
| K&N, BBS RX18-225/40, H&R Sport thread, all clear lights       |
| Sebring Exhaust                                                |
| c641625@domain.elided | http://www.missouri.edu/~c641625 |
                                                    []    []