[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: OUTCOME OF CD WHINE & DETAILING WOE PROBLEMS

This is a typical ground loop problem that is VERY common in the
Electronics field.  I recently hard wired a portable cd player into my
car radio's internal electronics because I wasn't satisfied with the
sound through the Cassette adapter or any available FM sound feeders.

After designing a proper cct to feed the signal in I was getting this
hiss and cd movement mechanism noise that wasn't audible when listening
with headphones.  ... The fix was a ground loop isolator - Available at
any Electronics store.  I wouldn't be suprised if this is a cheaper and
easier fix to plug into the audio output of the car radio if it's being
sent to an amplifier in the rear.  The one I purchased was RCA Stereo
IN/OUT, about $10.  For BMW to miss this problem before selling the
sound package to unsuspecting victims is a little unusual.

CD Whine
Problem:  The dealer recognizes that all 1996 E36is w/H/K upgraded sound
has a high pitched whine.  The whine is accentuated during acceleration
while the CD player is in use, but can be heard even with the stereo
system turned off.

Solution:  A BMW AG Technical Support person was contacted to come to my
dealership after three unsuccessful attempts to fix the problem.
According to my service writer, the fix was to disconnect the ground
wire from the wiring harness located along the right side of the car.
He then grounded both the CD player and the head unit (separately of
course) to the chassis.
 Bingo, the noise went away.  This was apparently a big deal, as it took
almost an entire day to complete the job.