[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<misc> Installing Harnesses - Safety

Folks-

Just got off the phone with a rollbar vendor, after a lengthy discussion about
installing a 6 point harness in my E36 M3.  I was looking for a bar I've seen
that installs under the rear two seat-mounting bolts and provides an anchor
point for the anti-sub harnesses as well as the inside lap belt.  This vendor
told me that he had looked into getting such a device fabricated, but had been
told that the seat mounting bolts in an E36 are not substantial enough to
mount a harness to, and would shear off in the event of a serious crash.  He
said the only safe way to install a lap-belt is to drill a hole through the
floor and bolt the belt in with appropriate hardware.

Does anybody have an *informed* opinion on the safety of mounting harnesses to
seat-bolts?  Not much point in having the harness if it's not safe (although I
guess you could use the harness just to hold you into the seat, and wear the
stock 3-point belt *over* the harness, but that sounds kind of silly...).
Also, if it is a safe method, does anyone know where I could get one of those
bars that mounts under the rear two seat-mounting bolts?

TIA,
Simon Kennedy
'95 M3