[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

re: '84 E28 528e --- To Buy Or Not To Buy?

> It's a two owner southern California car with 144K miles ...

I've had my 528e 5 speed since 55k in '88.  I'm now at 204K
without any major repairs.  I've done almost all maintenance
myself - the car is very easy to work on - except the clutch
master cylinder (pretty easy, really, but getting that last
fitting screwed in ... Aaaaarrrrrggghhhh) - but the automatic
wouldn't have one!

Lets see - repair record from memory
100k - Clutch slave cylinder
120k - Struts - not sure they were needed.
120k - Muffler
150k - Clutch master cylinder
180k - water pump - bad bearing
190k - Acclelerator cable
190k - Heater control valve
195k - idle control valve

No big hitters.  A number of little things too, and the usual
mainenance items - hoses, belts, brakes, etc - but I really like
the car.  Not fast, but steady and solid.  Good gas mileage
(30+) and many years of dependable service.  The car has never
left me stranded.  At this point I plan to own it forever - at
least until an affordable 735 lands in my lap.

With my CCA discount, most parts prices are quite reasonable -
and the used parts market is pretty good too.

Karl Zemlin
zemlin@domain.elided
Indianapolis, Indiana
BMWCCA 82366