[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<E30> Alloy Torquing

Someone recently suggested that the proper way to torque alloys was to:
  - remove the alloy
  - clean and lube the hub and the wheels' mating surfaces
  - remount the tire/wheel, just snugging the bolts
  - lowering the car so that enough weight is placed on the tire/wheel to
prevent
    rotation
  - torquing the lugs to spec.

Well, I tried it over the weekend and it DOES make a difference.  My '85 325e
suffered from vibrations at certain speeds.  I had the tires/wheels balanced
to 1 gram and torqued to spec with little effect.  Also, replaced a rear
wheel bearing which reduced some noise but not the vibs.
After I performed this procedure (less than a half-hour), there's a marked
improvement.  Thanks to the author.
Mark Fiumara
BMWCCA 37523
Arlington, VA