[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<E30> RE:fan clutch

     sean thompson <sean.ti@domain.elided> wrote:

     I am trying to replace the fan clutch in my E30 and have the nice 32mm
     wrench necessary but that damn nut won't budge. Bentley states to give
     it a sharp whach with the heel of your hand and it comes right off.
     BULLS#$%! my hand is bruised and that thing is still on. the belt
     slips on the pulley and it is tight. Is there anything to hold to keep
     everything still?
     Sean

     Sean;

     I've had the fan off my machine more times than I'd like to admit.
     Left hand threads. 32mm wrench. From passenger (right) side of
     vehicle, position wrench on nut so wrench is upright, pointing at sky.
     Strike wrench with a heavy (~32 oz.) hammer *sharply* towards left
     side of car. May need to be repeated. Use hammer and reverse procedure
     to replace fan when done. This is admittedly easier on M3 than 325.
     Good luck.

     Bob T