[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: <E36 Locking problem>

> I just purchased a 1992 318is (month a), excellent car but a little  slower
> than my 1988 325is, no biggy.  My question is this:  The key to  the car fits
> the ignition, and the doors, BUT not the trunk.  This is the  key with the
> special light on it.  Is there another master key that was  not given to me?
> The car has the BMW/Alpine alarm so I can unlock/lock  the trunk with the
> little keychain.  I'd like to be able to unlock the  trunk with the key.  OR
> is it possible that the lock has been changed,  and I have no key?!

David,

the car should have come with four keys:

1) master key with light

2) master key with plastic head (no light)

3) duplicate master key with no head

4) valet key with metal oval-shaped head (does not fit trunk or glovebox)

the only difference between the master keys (1,2,3) and valet key (4) is
presence of a slot running down the center of the spine of the key in the
same plane as the head.  the valet key doesn't have the slot and won't fit
into the trunk or glovebox locks.

HTH, Herman