[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<MISC> Fuel Pressure Gauge ...

For those super-techies out there interested in tracking their fuel pressure,
I have now added such a thing to my 633. I got a VDO 0-80 pressure sensor
with 1/4 inch NPT threads on it. I went to my hardware store and got a brass
fitting with 3 1/4 NPT female ends on it. I went to the Barbeque Grill section,
and got two barbed ends with 1/4 NPT male ends. I screwed the sensor into the
3 way coupling, and then the barbed ends, then spliced this into my fuel
line just in front of the fuel rail. Been there a month or so. I REALLY
tightened the inputs to the 3-way coupling REAL tight, no thread sealer or
teflon as I am worried about injector contamination. But, I get no gas smell.

I measure fuel pressure now with an ohm meter. But, I am in the process of
adding a VDO 0-80PSI gauge, and oil pressure sending unit, and a switch, so
I will be able to monitor either the oil or the fuel pressure with the same
VDO gauge. I'm a happy camper!

Others have asked about how to do this in the past, and what I did is now
working for me - YMMV. Take a section of fuel line to the hardare store as the
barbed endings come in different sizes. You also need two hose clamps. Cost was
about $5 for the hardware excluding gauge and sending unit cost (I got mine
from Imparts - they discount VDO pretty well).

Next time my car won't start (never happened yet, knock on vinyl), I'll be
able to tell real quick if I got fuel :->

David Hoerl
84 633CSi (with new fuel pressure sending unit)
78 320i (had a fuel regulator problem, took a year to find :-<)