[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<E36> Stumbling, backfiring, hesitation

To: BMW List Server    <bmw-digest@domain.elided>

FROM: David Skirzenski      PHONE: 744-4872   ID: SKIRZ
Subject: <E36> Stumbling, backfiring, hesitation

I've had my '92 325i in to the dealer 4 times for a stumbling,
hesitation and backfiring problem with no success.  The dealer
has changed the plugs, checked the computer, and changed the O2
sensor.  The problem only occurs under 2000 RPM at moderate to
large throttle openings.  It only occurs after about 1 minute
of warm up and usually goes away after 30 minutes of driving.
The only thing that ever seems to fix it (temporarily) is when
the dealer puts in some sort of fuel treatment.  This problem
has been going on for 6 months (through many, many tanks of
different gas brands).  Any ideas before I take it back in again?
The car has 43K miles, so still under the emissions warranty.