[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

any solution for brake dust!

> Is there any solution for getting rid of the brake dust forever...
> I have to clean my front tires  every other day...

<<<<<

To which Jim B. replied:

I couldn't resist that one... all kidding aside, P21s sprayed on via a
garden sprayer, then hosed-off is easy and works well... But you'll
never get rid of the dust problem. You'll spray & wash every couple of
days. Really hard pads (the kind that squeal and break your eardrums)
produce much less dust, but then you are getting into another problem of
rotor/pad hardness comaptibility and rotor warp, etc... It's easier to
just spray & wash...

<<<<<

I just had to chime in with my 2 cents worth on this topic.  I
have heard for years and years that you can use the hard brake
pads but they wear down your rotors.  It is my experience that
this is a bunch of bull!  I have had 8 BMWs in the last 15 years
and with virtually all of them, I have replaced the stock (soft,
dusty) pads with Repco hard pads.  This virtually eliminates the
dust problem and I have never had to replace a rotor on ANY of
my cars.  My current car is an 85 635CSi that I bought new and
it has been running Repco pads since the first set wore out at
about 15,000 miles.  The car now has 208,000 miles on it and the
rotors are still original and within spec.

As for pad squeal, I always bevel the edges of the pads before
installing them and have never had a problem in this area
either.  My current set give off a very tiny squeal the first
time I use them when they are cold and I never hear a sound out
of them after that.  On this car (the 635CSi) I have been
getting about 60,000 miles on a set of pads.

Obviously, other people may have other experiences but I'm sold
on my solution until the day it no longer works for me.  The
only down side that I have ever seen is that putting in the hard
pads does increase the brake pedal effort somewhat.  It's
noticeable but not objectionable.

Don Mies