[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Air Conditioner

For the past 3 years I have had a strange problem with the air conditioner
on my 1985 528e. When the air outside is cool the air conditioner works (no,
it is NOT blowing outside air - it really works). If it sits in the sun for
several hours on a hot day the air stops working. If I drive over 70mph for
about half-an-hour it sometimes  starts again. If it's working while driving
on a hot day it will usually stop working and won't start again until
another cool evening passes. I'm tired of "professional" BMW services that
charge me  to diagnose the problem and then proceed not to fix it. Two weeks
ago it was diagnosed as corroded fuses. I paid $214 for the diagnosis and $4
for the fuses - and the air blew warm when I picked up the car at the
service department. I have had the condenser replaced, the freon topped, the
temperature sensors checked, etc., etc.  Last week a BMW service manager
advised me to cut my losses and learn to like the heat. Can anyone help me?