[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<misc> Wax (not Zymol)

> ...So, if your blue tub is empty, give the Meguir's a try.
>
> I'm extremely fortunate to have found this car and I was amazed at the quality
> of the now ten year old paint.  It just plain Black w/o clear coat and has
> held up well.  Clearly before the days of the water-based garbage.

I've used the Meguire products for years (before Zymol was even
available) and have been very pleased with them.  Most of the
professional paint shops I have talked to still use the Meguire
products on all their finishes.

As far as paint quality goes, you can't beat some of the old
finishes.  I have an 85 635CSi that is bright red and still
looks like new.  Oddly enough, the paint has darkened a little
with age.  I only discovered that when I went to replace the
roundel on the trunk a few months ago and found the paint under
the old badge somewhat lighter in color.

These old car finishes were all hand sanded and polished at the
factory and they show it, even after many years of exposure.  If
you look closely at your finish, you will see that the paint is
absolutely smooth with no "orange peel" anywhere.  None of the
new cars have finishes like that, not even the 850!

Unfortunately, even BMW seems to have cut some corners over the
years in the paint finishing department.

Don Mies