[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

E36 M3 Shifting woes

Hello all,

Thanks for all the feedback.  I will keep the Digest posted on what
happens... Preliminary research indicates that I might have two
problems, 1. the sticking of the shifter in 3rd could be the guide bore
of the 3rd and 4th gear locking pin is worn for which BMW dealers have a
repair kit containing a sleeve to compensate for the wear (according to
a BMWeb bulletin), and 2. probably loose transmission mounts which makes
some sense because the problem of going *into* 3rd only happens under
high RPMs (6500+).  I talked to a Korman Autoworks guy who mentioned
that this latter problem might be fixed by getting the heavy-duty
Motorsport motor and transmission mounts... but I'll wait to see what
the dealership says.

BTW, my car is heavily modified (i.e. supercharger, high flow injectors,
Euro afm, exhaust, headers, Jim C's chip, etc.)  It was dynoed at around
350 HP... I'm mentioning this fact because I really don't want to
propagate the notion that this is a widespread problem on the stock M3s,
until I have the car checked and the cause of the problem ascertained.

Thanks,

- -Skaria