[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<MISC> VeeDub to Bimmer??

Rob T, wants to know
>I'm considering a late '80s early '90s 325is.  On paper, this car fits
>the bill.  I'm interested in what current owners of this car think about
>it.  It's faults and strengths, and what I should pay for one.

E30 325i is a *great* car. Everything works together so well. Engine
is fantastic. Putt around at 2000rpm or let the engine spin up to
6800rpm for a glorious rush of pleasant mechanical noise and acceleration.

Brakes are excellent, have yet to have any fade (at the track doing
double duty or in the mountains having some fun :) and that is with
stock pads.
Mileage is reasonable, mid to upper 20's mpg.

Price: seems to be around $10k (us) for a car with ~80k miles
	have seen ~$8k up to $15k depending on year/miles

Problems:

if it has been poorly maintained it could cost a lot
 cheap brakes, cheap oil, cheap tires all *work* but take a lot away
from a great handling car. Use name brand and OEM parts and you are
fine. Go to speedy for brakes and buy $50 tires and you get what you
pay for (ie not much).

timing belt: must be changed every 50k miles - if not, and it
 breaks, it is time to buy a new engine.. when buying a E30 325i ask
 about the timing belt..

luxury items: there are lots of really nice items that are
 great until they break. Power windows, mirrors, sunroof, central locking
 on board computer, etc etc - if you don't mind fiddling it is
 not a problem

size: the E30 is not a big car. Great size for 2 people, a squish for 4.
 also if you want to do some BMW driving schools or autocrosses make
 sure you can fit inside with a helmet on - tall people can have trouble

spoiled: once you've thrashed your bimmer and it comes back begging
 for more you will have a hard time buying a regular car.

hope this helps

chris pawlowicz
'89 325i - 235k km - off to Mosport in a couple of weeks Yee Ha !