[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

re: speeding tickets

Davor writes:

well, since I bought my '93 325i at the and of April I've gotten
3 (yes, three) speeding tickets. <snip>  Looks like those f*$@ing cops like
BMWs too much.

My reply:

hummmm...Let's see...I'm one of those f*$@ing cops that likes BMWs too
much...I own a couple.  Do I single out BMW's to stop and write speeding
tickets to?  No.  I don't show prejudice...I'd generally write anyone that
was doing in excess of about 15 mph of the posted limit, depending on
conditions, regardless of the car they were driving.  Alot of factors come
into play...posted limits, your actual speed, weather, traffic conditions,
time of day, and most importantly, your attitude.  I can assure you that
the guy that I stop for say....57mph in a 45 mph tells me "I really don't
know how fast I was going, officer" is when I break out the ticket book. I
don't want to share the road with someone who obviously isn't paying
attention, and I don't want my family or yours sharing it with that type of
driver either.  I don't have the scientific data to back this up, but for
the thousands of traffic stops I've made in 16 years, I'd guess that about
30% resulted in me writing a ticket.  This varies alot from agency and from
officer, but 30% or so is not all that unusual in So Cal.

A radar detector?  Between Laser and instant-on radar, they are of little
value, in my opinion, at least in my area  (Los Angeles County).

A better investment might be bigger mirrors.  In order for me to get to
you, I have to see you.  If I can see you, you can see me.  That should
ample warning for you to do whatever you need to to get things under
control.  Paying attention to the 360 degrees around you might save you
more than a ticket someday.

Sell your BMW and buy a Yugo?  Surely you jest  :)

Best,

Jeff
BMW ACA - Los Angeles
BMW CCA - San Diego