[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 318ti CD installation, 318ti stuff, etc.

Ian,

> From: Ian Grush <ian@domain.elided>
> Date: Mon, 2 Sep 1996 11:43:31 -0400
> Subject: 318ti CD-changer install

> I am trying to find out where they hide the wiring (pigtail) for the
> factory CD changer in the '96 318ti. The car is prewired for the
> changer. I have been led to believe that the CD changer should be
> installed behind the passenger side rear wheel well.

Your assumption is based on the fact that there is a plastic cover on the
passenger side rear wheel well that says, "CD Ready" correct?  :)

> For this reason, I assumed the connection into the wiring harness would
> be hidden somewhere around the rear passenger side wheel arch, or spare
> wheel well. But after pulling everything apart, it is not there. I
> presume that I am not looking in the correct place.

Good try, but you need to look left. :)

The wiring is actually on the driver's side of the rear wheel well.  When
I bought my 318ti, I had the CD changer dealer-installed and was surprised
to find it installed on the driver's side, until they mentioned that the
wiring is actually on the driver's side, not the passenger side.  It's
misleading, especially with the plastic cap label but that's where it is
on my '95 318ti Active.

  * * *

Lolla,

> From: lolla <lolla@domain.elided>
> Date: Mon, 02 Sep 1996 14:39:03 -0700
> Subject: 318ti Sports Edition

> I haven't been on the list for a long time, so I haven't seen a any
> posts on the 318ti??  Good ? bad? didn't hit any in the archives either!

There are several 318ti owners here.  :)

> I'm interested in getting a used 95 Club sports Edition, or new 96 or 97
> Sports Edition.  The 96's got your basic 1.9 liter engine with 138 hp (I
> think).  It's got sports seats, M suspension, M bumpers and side skirts.

Correct.  Horsepower remains the same on the '95 and '96, at 138 hp.  The
'96 Sports package essentially inherits some of the equipment from the '95
Club Sport limited edition model, and the Sport package now has an MSRP of
$2,900.  Some of us prefer the Active package. :)

> any thougts?  I drove it, and I really liked the handling, and it seemed
> more powerful than the 318i? maybe cause it's lighter (I'm guessing
> here)..

The 318ti is ~200 lbs. lighter than the regular 3-series.

> In the end, I really like it, for the money ( @ 25,000 - 27,000 with
> traction and sunroof) , after all it's got a tiny M badge on the side of
> it.. I guess not bad for my first BMW, but when I grow up I wanna be an
> M3! :)

The 318ti is a great "Beginners' BMW" car, as it is a "baby BMW." :)

 David Tay <tsr@domain.elided>  BMW CCA #130574, '95 E36 318ti Active
  Tay Systems Research                     CompuServe: 74213,2471
   3554 Chain Bridge Rd., #100           Tel. 703/760-9022
     Fairfax, VA 22030-2709, USA       Fax. 703/893-1154