[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

97 M Roadster

Greg,

I saw your detailed advice for purchasing a 97 M3 and had to write back.  I
have a 95 M3 and was involved in the buying frenzy in mid 94 when the US cars
first arrived.

I had a 95 Daytona Violet on order in Concord, Ca. and an Avus Blue ordered
in Pleasanton, Ca.  The Concord dealer was offering an MSRP deal but after
several missed deals (car sold to others for more money) he could not produce
a car for 3 months.

The Pleasanton dealer offered a car that the Sales Manager took Euro delivery
of, and drove across Europe for 2,000 miles.  This was offered for full list
plus a mandatory $3,000 parts upgrade (CD changer, pinstripe, paint and
interior protection) .   The car would not arrive for 1 month.

A week later I bought a new Daytona Violet M3 in Sunnyvale,Ca available
immediately at MSRP.  (The person who ordered the car cancelled the order and
bought a 740i instead.)

Now, I am lusting after the M-Roadster that I saw in Monterey at the Historic
Races.  Apparently, the Pres of BMW NA said at a press release that the car
is coming to the US.  However, no pricing or availability has be stated.

I spoke with a sales person at the Pleasanton dealer who told me he was aware
that the car may come but had no facts.  He suggested that I could deposit
$1,000 toward an offer on the car.  However, my offer would have to include
the same $5,000 above MSRP that they charge for all new Z3's!

What do you suggest for this situation?  Should I find another dealer who
will accept less (i.e. MSRP or MSRP less 8%) ?  The car has no official
price, so how does the dealer know that they will be charging a $5K markup on
an unknown price?

Any help or advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul Jones