[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<E24> Springs

- ---------- Original Text ------------

The front springs are starting to sag on my 1985 635.  One side is about
5/8 in. lower than the other and I'm going to replace the front springs and
the shocks.  In the quest for better handling, I've thought about
installing Eibach springs which will reduce the ground clearance of the
car.  The problems are twofold: I don't know whether the Eibach springs
will increase or decrease the current ground clearance which is already
somewhat reduced.  Now, the front air dam is uncomfortably close to the
ground.  Does anyone know what the proper measurement should be between the
top of the fender well and the center of the front wheel - or a similar
measurement?  I would like to know what my ground clearance will be before
I install the springs.  Any other advice about front end replacement parts
while I have it apart would be appreciated.

- ------------ End of Original Text ----------

I'm also the proud owner of an 85 635 (with 208K miles on it!).
My car has had the short Alpina springs in it since it was new.
These springs lower the car about 1".  The lower profile really
makes a dramatic difference in the appearance of the car.  I
have had my car in parking lots next to other 635s and the
lowered car looks MUCH sleeker and sportier. I would definately
recommend it from an appearance point of view.

However, I have been scraping my air dam on the ground every
time I go into or out of any moderately steep driveway.  On my
car there is just about exactly 6" of clearance between the
bottom of the air dam and the pavement.  After 12 years of this,
my air dam is in need of replacing.  It is cracked in about 5
places now and it has just developed a crack that runs all the
way across the front between the fog lights.  (Can anyone
recommend a good air dam replacement, possibly with side skirts?)
For most of it's life, the air dam survived quite well with just
occasional paint touch-ups when it got badly scraped on
something.

I don't know what the proper measurement for the wheel clearance is
but I just put a set of 17 x 8 Borbet chrome plated wheels on my
car with 235/45-17 tires (finally replacing my TRXs). There is
plenty of clearance all around with no modifications to anything.

BTW, for the record, I LOVE my BMW.  The current one is #8 since
I bought my first 1600 many (many...many...) years ago.  I have
had no major problems with any of my cars and performed
virtually no maintainance other than the routine services and
upkeep.

Also, for the record, I would encourage people to post their
replies to the digest as there have been several interesting
posts that I would have liked to have followed that just
disappeared.  This is my first posting but hopefully, not my
last.

Don Mies

85 635CSi
Thinking about a Z3