[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: E36 M3 Car Phone (long)

Steven;

Finally a question I can answer intelligently???

>>Has anyone had a voice recognition, hands free,
>>car phone installed in their E36?  I have a 96 M3
>>and have been told by my dealer that the E 36
>>BMW phone requires a microphone to be installed
>>in the A pillar (I would prefer a somewhat more
>>obscure microphone in the dash), the phone is
>>not activated from the steering column as in some
>> 5 and 7 series, and, finally, the phone is not portable.

First off all, when you say "car" phone, those of us in the
business think of a "mobile", which is mobile in fact only
because it goes where the car in which it is permanently
installed goes.  Key word here is "portable" which can go
wherever you do.  Most portables have handsfree kits
available.

Voice recognition is a concept waiting for technology to
catch up to it (IMHO).  Our experience is that in the real
world, it works some of the time.  You must "train" the
phone to your voice (only), and God forbid you should
catch a cold!!

If you want handsfree, a microphone has to be installed
somewhere of course, and they usually work best when
clipped on the visor.  A competent install shop can locate
it anywhere you would like, but "hard" installed mikes (as
in mounted in the dash) tend to pick up noisy vibrations
and resonances from many sources.  If you do have it put
in the dash, be certain that it sits in some sort of foam or
other dampening material.

>>Unlike the BMW authorized phone, aftermarket phones
>>allegedly do not have the software to mute the radio while
>>talking..

Keep in mind that the "aftermarket" phone here IS the BMW.
BMW doesn't build phones, Motorola, Audiovox etc. in return
don't build cars.  The "branded" phones as we call them are
simply specialized versions of a standard phone.  I believe the
one you are referring to is a Motorola flip phone.  They enjoy a
much more limited service support system than the originals.

ANY phone operating from the cars power source can be
equipped with a module ($25) to provide an "muting" output
when it rings or when you place an outgoing call.  In the case
of a portable, this will only work when the phone is attached
to the handsfree unit.  Virtually all car audio uses either a +
(12V) or a - (ground) to activate the mute.  It is unlikely that
even BMW has deviated from this standard, but if they have,
the module can be configured to turn the radio off, simply by
interrupting the "ignition sense" line on the radio.

>>I am sure that fellow M3 drivers understand that driving
>>the car hard for maximal enjoyment requires concentration....
>>I don't want to take my hands off the wheel or the 5 speed
>>to fiddle with the phone (though I can talk and drive at the
>>same time!).

I understand, but realize that the physical action of operating
and holding the phone is only part of the equation.  A certain
amount of cerebelum is still distracted by the conversation
itself.  I can't tell you how many times I've passed my exit
while on a handsfree call because I was thinking of where the
conversation was going instead of where I was.  My advice is
to slow down and back off when on a call!   Also realize that
any handsfree kit suffers from the "tin can" effect you get
with a speakerphone, aggravated by the fact that it is in a
moving vehicle with all the inherent background/wind/engine
noise etc.

>>I would truly appreciate any comments from persons
>>satisfied, (or otherwise) with his or her car phone in an
>>E36 before I plunk down some more dead presidents.

If you like the BMW phone, the features, and BMW's idea
of sinergy with the car etc, plunk down the dead presidents
(Franklin incidentally was never President)  :-).  The BMW
phone probably fits into the car better than any others.  Also
don't be terribly concerned with the limited service suppport
as most phones are very reliable.

Personally I use an Audiovox MVX800, about 1/3 the size of the
Motorola/BMW, probably about the size of Michael Jordans
thumb.  It's pretty much full featured, 99 # alpha memory, any
key answer, 3 yr warranty etc.  Wholesale is under $500, the
handsfree kit under is $300, it charges the battery, backlights
the phone, and gives you an external antenna port.  Also available
is a 3 watt booster kit (another $300), a waste of money unless
you spend a lot of time out in the boonies.  This is the best phone
I have ever used in my ten years in the business.  I even have the
handsfree kits installed in 3 of my vehicles (not in the 911, can't
even hear the phone).  A good install shop will probably charge
you another $150-200 or so for antenna and installation.

Also this particular handsfree has an RJ-11 jack integrated into
it.  Not fully automated, so you have to dial on the cellular, but it
works well.  Imagine watching a drive in movie while keeping your
eye on the fetal monitor graph on your laptop :-)

So there you have it, you can probably buy a lot less phone (less
is more in the cellular biz) in the "aftermarket" for the same money.
Incidentally, if you are activating a new number, that should save
you a couple of dead presidents (or kite flyers).  Shop around.

OK , OK,  yes I do distribute Audiovox, along with six other makes,
but only here around Utah, and I don't own any stock honest, and
besides you can probably buy them cheaper from a dealer in your
area than I could sell it to you for anyway (it's that commission
thing again).

Safe cruising.
HTH

Kevin Heiner
84 745i turbo     (the cruiser)
81 911SC Targa (the runabout)
96 4Runner        (the family truckster)
93 Toy P/U        (heavy? hauler soon to be replaced by Dodge Ram)