[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: window switch

                      RE>window switch                             8/30/96

Matt Procter asked me:  Ever get any info on where to get bulbs?

Yes, and mypublic but  belated/delayed thanks to both of them.  I got two
replys:

1)  Richard Cartiledge  [richard.cartledge@domain.elided]:

If anyone needs to replace blown window switch bulbs, they have probably
already discovered that they are not available as a BMW part.

I found my local modelshop sells them for model signals in model railway sets.
The bulbs are identical in dimensions, but are brighter, so you'll need to
replace them all or use a black magic marker to tint the glass abit.

Cost #163#1 UK apposed to #163#28 UK

2)   prreitz@domain.elided (Paul R. Reitz) :

 The bulb used in those switches is, for all intents and purposes, identical
to a Radio Shack bulb #272-1092.

The following is for E30 seat heater switch lights. Bulb replacement:  The
bulbs are soldered to a circuit board at points that cannot be readily
accessed, but it is possible to   replace them. Remove the switch by prying up
at front and back ends  simultaneously with two flat blade screwdrivers.
Disassemble by inserting two thin,   flat-blade   screwdrivers between the
switch sides and base far
 enough to release the   four locking tabs.  With the switch upside down,
lever  the innards up out
 of the case.  Watch out for a loose spring, brass tube, and steel ball on
the switch operating lever that can easily fall out.   With the switch
internals removed, carefully crush the bulb glass with
pliers until all  glass is removed, exposing the existing leads. Remove  any
remaining   filament.  Wrap the leads of the replacement bulbs (Radio Shack
#272-1092)  around these leads and solder carefully.  Make certain   not to
short the  bulb leads, as this creates a direct short from fuse
  16 to ground that could fry the switch circuit board. Don't use excessive
heat when  soldering, to avoid unsoldering the original bulb  leads on the
circuit   board.  When reassembling, position the bulbs so they    fit inside
the  recesses in the switch case.

 Hope this helps.

 Paul Reitz
 BMWCCA #1167