[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Z3 Power!

Perry L. Fagan wrote
>Just test drove a 5-speed Z3. Here are my two cents: very nimble
>handling, very tight body (ok so it's new), MORE than adequate power
>around town (Boston), and beautiful fit and finish (makes the 3-series
>look dowdy, which, of course, it is). Here's my question: why would a 6
>cylinder engine be a good thing in a car this light? Yes, I know there

You are absolutely right - many many people think (and have been
conditioned to think) that MORE+BIGGER=BETTER.

How many times have we seen on the digest 'a 318i isn't a *real* BMW'
because it only has a little 4 banger. There is much more to a car
than the size of it's engine.

I think though that a lot of the critisism of the Z3 comes when
comparing it to other cars, for instance the Miata. The Miata costs
*way* less and has similar performance. But again, there is much more
to a car than 0-60 numbers.

Fact is, the Z3 is selling like hot cakes. There will always be people
who want MORE so the six cylinder is going to sell well also.

Look at the 528i and the 540i. The 540 has a way bigger engine with
much more horsepower. 4.4L 282HP V8 versus 2.8L 190HP inline 6. It
*does* go faster, but in various reviews (C&D magazine comes to mind)
the 528i is almost the better car - nicer handling, better balanced
etc etc.

I am starting to consider buying a toy car for autocrossing, driving
schools etc.. and *want* something with a little engine that I can
drive the piss out of. SMALLER = CHEAPER :) And realistically, most
cars have *way* more performance than most drivers are capable of
using.

Just my opinion :)

chris pawlowicz
'89 325i