[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

E36 M3 Car Phone

Sorry to pester the group again, but the comments sent to me from some
earlier readers described their experience with BMW phones unfortunately not
available on the E36 series.

Has anyone had a voice recognition, hands free, car phone installed in their
E36?  I have a 96 M3 and have been told by my dealer that the E 36 BMW phone
requires a microphone to be installed in the A pillar (I would prefer a
somewhat more obscure microphone in the dash), the phone is not activated
from the steering column as in some 5 and 7 series, and, finally, the phone
is not portable. Unlike the BMW authorized phone, aftermarket phones
allegedly do not have the software to mute the radio while talking..

I am sure that fellow M3 drivers understand that driving the car hard for
maximal enjoyment requires concentration....I don't want to take my hands
off the wheel or the 5 speed to fiddle with the phone (though I can talk and
drive at the same time!).

I would truly appreciate any comments from persons satisfied, (or otherwise)
with his or her car phone in an E36 before I plunk down some more dead
presidents.

Safe cruising.

Steven Waggoner