[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: OBC upgrade in 1997 528i

Richard Alan Lewis, M.D., M.S. writes:

>On Tuesday, Joe @ mazz+@domain.elided asked about a full upgrade OBC on the
>new 5281.  There is considerable confusion about this and I cannot get a
>convincing straight answer from any of the local 3 dealers (different
>dealers, different stories).  That confusion is further enhanced by the
>advertising in the BMW 1996 "Olympic" brochure (the one with the 5 silver
>models on the cover #OLY3-0296-800) which explicitly states on page 35,
>inside back cover, that "basic computer standard in 528i,***additional
>functions optional***.  Despite the fact that the OBC upgrade is a listed
>optional item in Germany (option codes #550/500), I've yet to get a clear
>word locally.  Has anyone tried BMW NA?

The German-market March price list shows the following options:

   500 headlight washer system with intensive cleaning      650,- DM
       of the front windshield

   550 on-board computer incl. check-control and pictograms  standard
   555 on-board computer with alphanumeric display           600,- DM
   602 on-board monitor with TV and on-board computer       4100,- DM

I think the "upgrade" you are after is either option 555 or 602.  I
bet the only way you are going to get a convincing answer as to what
you can have on your car is to try to order it.

- -John
'96 318is

- --
John Firestone, Alfred Wegener Institut   jfiresto@domain.elided
 fuer Polar- und Meeresforschung             +49 (471) 4831 363
Postfach 120161, D-27515 Bremerhaven          ..  ...  .... 149 (fax)
GERMANY