[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<E36> re: Headlights -- The housings & lights in U.S. & Europe

NewtMan asked:-

>Now, I'm aware that the Euro-E36 headlight assembly's have GLASS covers. My
>questions to our German /UK based list member(s) [John F., Stuart M. are you
>there?] are the following:

>1) Do the glass covers on the Euro-E36 headlights chip, get pitted and
>otherwise SANDblasted just like the U.S. plastic ones??  Or are they less
>suseptible to this type of wear?

After 30000 miles my glass covers are very slightly marked but I have to look
closely to see it. I recall that my previous 318i was about the same. I
havn't seen the US plastic covers so I can't compare. I read some time ago
that BMW intend to use plastic lens covers on Euro models in the near future :-(

The only problem that I do have is condensation behind the lens cover on
cool damp days. BMW issued a bulletin on this stating that it is not a problem,
i.e. they don't intend to issue a fix. I think however that it must diffuse
the light a little. It doesn't happen on all cars, and possibly depends on
the humidity in the factory when the headlamps are assembled. I decided that
if it became a serious problem I would drill a couple of small holes in the
black plastic headlamp holder and bleed some dry nitrogen in there.

>2) And even if they do wear out, isn't it true that with the Euro-E36, you
>CAN replace JUST THE GLASS covers [at drastically reduced cost] without
>having to replace the whole assembly?

Yes, they're secured with 4 spring clips and an adhesive.

Stuart Metcalfe                               email s.j.metcalfe@domain.elided
Central Laboratory of the Research Councils   phone +44 (0)1925 603521
Daresbury Laboratory                          fax   +44 (0)1925 603416
Warrington
Cheshire, England, WA4 4AD.                   '95 318iS coupe