[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: M535 problems

>1. Gas odor on cold warm start - we've checked the engine bay, the tank, the
>lines underneath, and the reclaim cannister to no avail. The car cranks for
>a couple of seconds before starting which makes me thing there is a leak in
>a line somewhere.

Sounds like a leak in the cold start injector.  This will leak especially
during a warm start since it is closed during this cycle.

>2. Poor braking immediately after acceleration - If I am accelerating, and
>immediately nail the brakes, I get a very hard pedal and little braking. In
>a second or two the pedal lowers and braking returns. A dangerous situation
>I would like to remedy. Two facts which may or may not be of interest. 1.
>When the vehicle is at a standstill, the brake pedal can be pressed all the
>way to the floor over a perious of about 10 seconds, working its way down in
>5 or 6 steps. The mechanic says that is caused by the ABS, which works fine.
>2. The master cylinder has just been replaced.

NO!  The pressure accumulator is bad.  This is very common.  It attaches
under the hydraulic splitter near the master cylinder.  It is commonly
known as the bomb since it is a black globe with a tip at the top.

>3. The same mechanic, while doing regular maintenance, requested to change
>the dead nicad batteries in the instrument cluster. Since that time I have
>lost the MPG, Cruise Control, and Miles Left on the Tank on the OBC. Does
>this sound like a mis-plugged or forgotten plug? He says he checked and all
>is as it should be.

This is a guess but he probably didn't charge the NiCad before installing
them.  Empty Nicad have strange symptoms.

>4. Anyone have a great place to purchase a rear muffler for the above
>vehicle. Local price was quoted at over $600. The nearest dealer is 250 mi.
>away.

The muffler is not cheap.  I installed a custom exhaust on our Euro 745i.
Custom bent pipes back to glass pack mufflers.  They were $300 installed
and still on the car after 7 years.

Cheers
John

John Coffin