[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

E36 Headlights -- The housings & lights in U.S. & Europe

Hi folks. After following a string regarding the the E36 U.S. headlights, I
noticed that the ORIGINAL problem became lost in a discussion over the
various aspects of the Halogen lighting system vs the Ellipisoid system ---
but the original problem which was pointed out by one list member was that
the PLASTIC lens covers on the U.S. E36's get pitted, chipped and otherwise
worn out after only a few years -- and if you want a nice smooth clean shiny
plastic surface again, you'll have to replace the WHOLE PLASTIC ASSEMBLY.

Now, I'm aware that the Euro-E36 headlight assembly's have GLASS covers. My
questions to our German /UK based list member(s) [John F., Stuart M. are you
there?] are the following:

1) Do the glass covers on the Euro-E36 headlights chip, get pitted and
otherwise SANDblasted just like the U.S. plastic ones??  Or are they less
suseptible to this type of wear?

2) And even if they do wear out, isn't it true that with the Euro-E36, you
CAN replace JUST THE GLASS covers [at drastically reduced cost] without
having to replace the whole assembly?

Benefits [or otherwise] of the ellipisoidal lighting system notwithstanding,
my point is this, for those of us in places where it snows & sleets a lot,
where winter road conditions just plain suck, our plastic headlight covers
can get really trashed [sandblasted and pitted] in only one or two years [my
328is is eight months old, and the plastic lens covers are already worn from
one winter's sand and crap] -- I'm thinking now that it might not be THAT
silly of an idea to PAY DOUBLE for the Euro-E36 assembly.

I'm not saying its NOT silly, I'm just suggesting that its not THAT silly of
an idea -- especially if future replacement glass covers only cost $30 or so.

Tom

.Tom

.1996 328is Green & tan      ||||||||||||||||||||||||||   Newtman@domain.elided
.Sports pckg, 5spd              || E36+M52 ||   73233.616@domain.elided
.ASC+T & Harmon Kardon   ||||||||||||||||||||||||||   L.I., N.Y. CCA#111050

.Added: Racing Dynamics Strut Brace
.           BMP/VDO E36 Gauge Cluster
.           BBS Moda 7.5 X 16 rims
.           M-Technic body kit