[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: <E30> How to install 'Trapps ??

Jeff sez:

>Finally, how many discs are needed to sound really
>good but not obnoxiously, hideously, window rattlingly
>loud ?? Will there be enough in the original set to
>give me any "free flow" performance or should I buy
>extras ??

I installed the 4" on my GTI.  It came with 12 discs of which I used all
12 and have been pulled over twice in the last year for being
"obnoxiously, hideously, window rattlingly loud".
Someone pointed out in a recent thread that you aren't going to get
enough increase in performance to warrant the $$ of any system with a
basically stock engine (the facts seem to support this), so you should go
for what looks best and/or sounds best - or stay OEM.  I particularly
like the Supertrapp for both reasons: it looks different and sounds
different than the other aftermarket setups I've heard/seen.  I'd suggest
starting out with 6 and see how it sounds - should be noticeably quieter.
 And the 5" version should be quieter than the 4" given the same number
of discs (I believe).
There is a Rochester NY dude with a 325ix with dual 4" 'trapps running
our winter rally series which looks great I think if'n you were so
inclined......
Have fun,

Woody
1992 BMW 325i: Driver's school
1984 VW GTI: Solo II, Winter Rally, Ice Racing
1970 BMW 2002: just fun
....These vehicles & views are mine,
not Corning Incorporated's....