[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

re: stuck oil drain plug

Evan wrote:

>My wife's new car (not a BMW, BTW) has a drain plug that just doesn't
>want to loosen. The dealer last changed the oil about 5,000 miles back.
>I'm afraid that if I really muscle it, I'll strip the hex head round.
>I've tried sockets, closed-ends, open-ends, and crescent wrenches with
>no luck. Does anyone have any suggestions (other than Jiffy Lube)?

I'd suggest the following:

1) put a six-sided hex socket on it, and tap the ratchet handle while
applying reasonable torque.  If the plug hex is totally destroyed,

2) apply locking pliers to the plug and again, have at it with a hammer.

Caveats:
1) Make sure you're loosening the plug! (Ask me how I know...)
2) Plan on replacing the drain plug; they're not *that* expensive.

In many situations of a stuck fastener, the *impact* of tapping the wrench
end while applying some steady torque works well, whereas steady torque
would just break the fastener.

Hope this works for you.

Paul Reitz
BMWCCA #1167