[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Shocking Shocks !!

     Just a little story for those that think BMW parts are expensive.

     For you bandwidth police out there, this is a flagrant offense.

     In addition to the '90 325iX that I have, an '86 Nissan Stanza 4WD
     Wagon is also in the garage. Actually the driveway, since it's now not
     worthy of the garage with the iX in the family. I've been holding out
     in buying Bilsteins (or Boges) for the iX, since the 4WD Stanza is in
     more of a real need for new shocks. After 130-something thousand miles
     on the original Nissan struts (I know, since I bought the car new),
     things are a little on the bouncy side.

     After a morning of changing all the fluids in the iX, I decided to
     start car shopping my nearest auto parts stores to pick up a set of
     front and rear struts (or cartridges) for the Stanza. This
     understeering, 'brick-styled' vehicle was just getting plain ol'
     shocks. I wasn't about to spend big bucks for Bils, Konis, et. al.

     First stop - Auto-Moan (name changed). Front struts were priced at
     about $70 per side. While the parts person looked up the rear struts,
     I was thinking, 'for just $30 more I could be buying front Bilsteins
     for the iX.'  His brow furrowed and he shifted the parts computer
     monitor a little more my way. My eyes followed his finger across the
     screen to the price column...$270 per side!! Before bolting, I told
     him, "I'd probably be bouncin' around a little longer," then hit the
     road to check another parts emporium.

     I'll spare you the details of my driving around and burning-up too
     much dead dinosaur juice. The best deal for front struts was ~$50 per
     side (they're on order) from Pet-Boys (name changed). The rear struts
     price ranged from $270 to $350. That's $540 to $700 parts only, for
     just the rear struts of an automobile that's only worth about 3K
     retail. I knew the struts wouldn't be as cheap as shocks for my '79
     Ford Van, but this was incredible.

     I think I'll buy front strut inserts and rear shocks for the iX
     instead. To hell with new rear struts for the Nissan. Anybody want a
     used Nissan Stanza 4WD wagon...

     Barry Ritchey
     '90 325iX
     '86 above