[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<E30> OBC and Cruise Control installation

Like the fellow digester (from the UK I believe), I too have successfully
completed the installation of the on-board computer into my '86 325. Since I
was contemplating open heart surgery on the dash, I decided to install the
cruise control also. The parts were obtained from a 325es that had an
misunderstanding with another vehicle. Parts were removed from donor vehicle
by inspection and just like the manual says, " installation is the reverse of
removal ". Start at one end of the harness and label / remove everything
connected to the harness. All connections for both installations are
plug-ins.

OBC parts consist of display unit, harness, relay box (black plastic about
1.5" x 4" x 6" mounted near ABS ECU), turn   signal switch, and horn. The
donor vehicle had most of the front end removed so I couldn't find the horn.
This horn is supposed to sound for 30 seconds after three attempts to start
the car without entering the correct code. If any other digesters can provide
insight on the location of this horn along with the color codes of the wires,
please e-mail direct. I believe it is mounted on the drivers side below the
bumper and inside the valance panel. The turn signal switch is needed if you
want to retain the feature that allows you to cycle through the OBC displays
by pressing the end of the turn signal switch. The relay box is essential. It
disables the main relay or the fuel pump relay, depending on year and model,

Cruise control parts consist of an ECU & bracket, harness, clutch switch &
bracket, servo assembly & bracket, steering column switch, connection adapter
from rear of instrument cluster. The cruise control installation is detailed
in the factory service manual and provides useful insight, but in hardly
essential.

Paul Shovestul
'86 325,
'83 533i