[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Late model 2.5l engine experiences?

Since I have not found a 535 of the vintage I'd like in a color
I'd find usable (ie - light colors), I'm looking also at later
model 525's.. ie, 1992 vintage.

If anyone has good/bad experiences with this engine, please pass
them along to me (if you want to keep list traffic down, direct
EMail is fine - deilenberger@domain.elided).

The performance figures I see (and based on seat-o-the-pants testing),
indicate that there actually is very little difference in performance
between the big 6 and the smaller 6 (the later 4 valve engine)...

Edmund's web page (http://www.edmunds.com/) gives figures of
0-60mph of something like 8.2 for the 3.5l, and 8.6 for the 2.5l..
not enough of a difference that anyone would REALLY notice it..

In driving a '92 525 - it seemed to have adaquate power, and I liked
the handling feel over the 1990 535i I drove - could be tires, but
it seemed to turn in better and have a bit lighter feel to it. The power
was there - it seemed to just come on a bit later in the RPM band
than the 3.5 (which I am intimately familiar with in BOHICA).

SO - anyone have good stores (ie - 350k miles with only oil changes)
or horror stories (needed a rebuild for $6k at 6k?), plus anyone
with experience with performance upgrades for this car - please
drop me a line!

TIA!

Don Eilenberger
Spring Lk Hts, NJ, USA