[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<E36> <Misc> Buzzing Sound in Shift Knob

Does anyone know how to remove (or tighten) the shift knob on an E36 coupe?
The shifter on my '93 318is (standard) has somehow become allergic to high
RPMs.  Above 5000 RPM the shifter will "buzz" very loudly.  Since the engine
spends most of the time in the upper RPM range (to generate what little
power it has) the buzzing sound is becoming *very* irritating.

It seems as though the shifter has worked itself loose.  I can rotate the
shifter about 1/8" clockwise or counter clockwise independent of the shift
lever.  I tried pulling it out but had no luck.  I also removed the shift
boot but didn't find any screws.  Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Mauricio