[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

No Subject

From: John Browne <johnbro@domain.elided>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 1996 09:10:54 -0700
Subject: RE: Supercharged M3
>>From: "william m driegert" <bdurgert@domain.elided>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 96 05:19:27 UT
Subject: Supercharged M3

I've had the Dinan supercharger kit installed on my 95 3.0 L M3 for
about 2
mos. now , and it has performed exceptionally. 341 hp is more than
adequate,
but the speed bug has already bitten. I want more power

The Professor  responds...

Aside from all that, I thought I'd better do the obligatory raining on
your picnic. You're getting close to learning what race teams learn all
the time, which is that everything has to work together.
(snip)
All that said, if you really want to improve performance, skip adding
horsepower. You've got a good platform to work from...(snip)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

John, I cannot agree more.  The thirst for power is great, but if you
can't put it down to the ground, eithere because the car won't  grip
in the corners, or because it is never *on the ground* because it is
always broken, what good are the hp's?

I have no interest in the Supercharger because there are no classes
in organized racing where they are permitted.  And if one is  not
racing, why does one need that much power?  I have had a few
outrageously powerful cars in my days of hot rodding, and all the
power did for me was cost me money, in repairs, fuel, and speeding
tickets.  If you can't use it on the track, it will get old.

Please don't take this as an "anti-supercharging flame," because I
think that if a guy wants a supercharger, all the more power to him
for following his own dream.  I just think that, sooner or later,
most guys who get really bit by the speed bug end up in racing, in
one form or another, and they may as well build a car that not
only fits into a  *legal* classification, but is also balanced.  It has
to be able to go, stop, and corner, and stay on the road or track long
enough to be competitive.  Pouring all of your engergy and money into
just the "go" element gives you an unbalanced, unuseable car.

Our friend Chuch Quarton has done a great job of building a well
balanced car.  Along with the Dinan Supercharger, he has also done
brakes (floating calipers--boy am I jealous) and suspension
modifications that make his car not only blinding fast, but also safe
and very trackable.  If one wants to build a really fast M3, and is
not concerned about keeping it within a legal classification for
racing, follow his suite.

Regards to all,

Carl

Carl Buckland