[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Cruise control problem

Ken Klausner wrote:
<My cruise control stopped working.  I replaced the cruise control switch in
the steering column.  I replaced the cruise control actuator (motor) under
the hood.  I replaced the cruise control unit (brains) under the dash.  Both
fuses 5 and 6 are fine.  I was able to get about a half a second of cruise
control operation somewhere during the process of replacing parts, but the
cruise control has not worked since.  Am I missing something?>

    Hopefully you checked these before you replaced all the expensive stuff,
but the cruise grounds thru the brake light *bulbs*.  No brake lights, no
cruise.  Sometimes enough corrosion builds up that the cruise quits but the
lights still work.  Also, there is a cutoff switch at the clutch pedal, and
maybe also one associated with the brake pedal switch.  Perhaps one or more
of them (or the pedals) is out of adjustment.
    This reminds me.  Not long ago, my clutch got stiffer, and after a while
the cruise quit.  I contorted myself under the dash to check the clutch
master and the switch, and lo and behold, the *bracket* holding the pedal
cluster had fatigued and torn, twisting the clutch pedal out of position!
 Wrestled it out and had it welded; both have been working great since.
 Pretty large stone for two little birds!  The shop said they had done this
welding *in* other cars, but it's a lot easier (for them-- getting it out/in
is a b*tch!!!) and more secure.

Happy cruising (with control)
Gary T
'87 535i,  '88 325is