[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: E36 M3 .. Vibrations & clunks

> problems .. the first happened just recently, and it is a BUZZING sort of
> feeling as I run through the rpms .. I feel it mostly in the steering wheel
> and the accel. pedal ...
>
> It feels like when you turn the radio up WAAAY loud and it makes the car
> sort of TINGLE .. any ideas??
>
> The other has been around for a while .. a CLUNK from the back of the car
> which occurs on clutch transitions if the car is loaded and then unloaded
>
> If I go over a speed bump and then reclutch (a LOT of load being removed
> at LOW speeds) it'll go kerchunk-a-chunk-a-chunk... with accompanying
> accell and decel to the noise .. tells me SOMETHING has too much damn
> play ..

Some time ago I saw an E36 M3 at AutoThority with the entire rear
carrier out for repair.  Seems the owner liked dumping the clutch to
impress the other kiddies and ignored all the wheel hop caused by
expensive bushings loading and unloading (I'm not implying YOU would do
this).  Once he wore out the bushings he also managed to crack the
carrier.  All of this resulted in much clunking and bumping, but even a
dealer should have noticed that much damage. You may want to see if the
application of excess power has done something nasty to your Guibo as
well causing it to run off center some and if there are any universal
joints (I don't know) they are an excellent place to look for problems.
I once ground the needle bearings in a universal to brown powder when I
lost the grease from it on my MG (no excess of power there) and it did
things like what you describe.
- --
Pat Donahue
Vienna, VA