[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

cold starting problem

i have been trying to figure out what has been causing my 83 320i to
start poorly when cold.  i have checked the aux. air valve (fine), the
thermo/time switch is ok, and i replaced the cold start valve.  but it
still takes a couple tries and some cranking to start the engine after
it's been sitting for more than like 2 hrs.  and when it finally does
start, i rev the engine and it hesitates big time.  if i really push it
when in motion, i can hear a sort of popping noise, and the car bucks
like a wild bronco.  but when warm, it runs great.  any ideas?

also, a mechanic told my dad that i should take the K&N filter out and
put my air box back in, that he's seen problems from such filters, but
that doesn't make sense to me.  is there any reason to believe that the
K&N filter could be contributing to the problem?

thanks a whole lot for any help...

chris