[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 1984 745i Resale Value?

>From: "Victor L. Trucco" <trucco@domain.elided>
>Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 07:47:31 -0700
>Subject: 1984 745i Resale Value?
>
>I am looking for a market value on a '84 745i with 144k on it.  I think
>it's worth between $7500-$8000 but the seller is asking $11,000.  The
>car is in good shape with many new parts and accessories.  It has a 4
>spd Auto in it.  All EPA mods have been made.  Am I off in my value
>assessment?  Input from 745i owners would be appreciated.

When I checked a few months ago, the value was $4-6K depending on mileage
and condition, obviously. The mileage on your car is on the high side if
not rebuilt. Hopefully the condition is good. The car is generally
unappreciated - European only, limited production run, a lot of unique
parts and technologies (turbo, engine management, transmission management,
water buffalo seats, etc.), a lot of dealer resistance, and technical
manuals are difficult to find - I'm still looking...

Beware of previous changes made out of perceived necessity or ignorance.
Unless you have a lot of patience, run away from any car you find with
those blue scab-on electrical connectors or electrical tape.

BUT the 745i is seriously fun to drive! It is electronically limited to 147
mph but is strong all the way to the limit. The four speed auto is smooth
and the range selector for Economy, Sport and Manual overcame many of my
misgivings about automatics.

If you work on cars you might risk it. Or if the seller is already having
it serviced in your area you might risk it. Most of the bodywork is common
to the other similiar vintage 7 series, some engine mechanicals are the
same as the domestic 735i, as is the most of the electrical equipment. You
get to make the TRX tire and wheel decisions with other BMW owners.

If there is a competent service provider in your area, you could have the
car thoroughly evaluated at your expense. I don't know of anyway to do a
shade-tree mechanic evaluation of relative turbo efficiency or turbo
bearing condition. But if it has failed completely, there will be no rapid
onset of power at 2500 - 3000 rpm with moderate throttle. Or was this one
of the recently replaced components?

The unique parts are very expensive and not readily available - at the best
prices the turbo is $1200, the DME box is $1100, the pistons are $1000,
etc. And you will get to wager on how long these parts will be available
for a 13 year old car...

Tough decision. Good luck.

Chip

Recycling the yuppie castoffs...