[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Sound proofing/heat insulating material

>>Anyone know of a good material to use for sound proofing and heat
>insulation for floors and firewall
>>(I seem to get a lot of heat/noise from the exhaust (headers/cat
>converter).  I also need something
>>to use as hood insulation for my E12 (it's hard to find a hood pad for this
>model).  Anyone done
>>this before on an E12? Where are the trouble spots?

I have been supplying underhood insultation kits for most BMW models since
1980.  Other than a write-up by Stan Simm in the Roundel, this has been
done by word of mouth only.  The insulation is 1/2" acoustical foam with
aluminized polyester film facing, and a pressure-sensitive adhesive
package. Outlines of shapes required for each model are painted on the
backing paper.  Cut out and peel off.

However, cleaning the hood or other surface is real work; several hours,
but ok for DIYers.  And firewalls are particularly difficult to fit, as
there are no patterns available and because of all the clutter.

If you're interested, drop a brief e-mail note to me.

- -Paul Reitz
BMWCCA #1167