[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Squeaking Belts

Greg Baker writes of getting only one response regarding his question on belt
slippage and the resultant noise.

Well, lest you feel neglected, I'll give 'er a go, Greg.

First off, the idea of applying a lubricant to the belt(s) is a bad one.  You
want to keep the belt slippage to a minimum, not mask the sound of it
slipping (while perhaps increasing the slippage at the same time!).  The one
lone respondent who suggested that you use bar soap is, I'm afraid, off base
for this reason.   I'm sure the magic stuff the dealer is very willing to
sell you for $40 is not at all a "grease" as you called it, but is in fact a
dressing which increases the coefficient of friction.   A spray can of
generic belt dressing can be found at any auto parts store for around 2
bucks.

But more importantly, you should attempt to determine the reason for the belt
noise in the first place.  Loose, worn, or misaligned belts should be
corrected before applying a belt dressing which will mask the possible
warning signal of impending doom.

Gerry O'Connor
Manhattan Beach, CA
'83 633 CSI