[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Squeaking Belts

... and Greg Baker's quandary about a fix (sorry about *my* non-response).

    This presumes the belts are already as tight as they should be.  I have
used candle wax(!) with relative success.  Safest method is, with the engine
off, to rub a candle stick against the pulley side of each belt, turning or
"bumping" the engine as necessary to get all the surfaces.  Quickest and
easiest method is, with engine idling, to hold the candle against an easily
and *safely* reached part of the belt, whether from above or below.  It
doesn't take much wax or pressure-- just be careful about the direction of
rotation and that the candle doesn't get "eaten" by the pulleys.  Usual
warnings about loose clothing, etc apply.

    I had tried commercial spray-on squeal-stoppers, but they are messy,
sticky, and sometimes cause an ungodly "dead bearing" grinding noise that's
worse than the belt squeal you're trying to cure.  Don't waste your money.

    I have no idea how well Zymol wax would work here, though some would say
you can't hold a candle to *them*!  :-)

    Ostensibly, the best fix is to make sure all the pulleys are aligned
correctly (worn bushings, or misalignment from tightening?).  Maybe the
candle wax can at least isolate the squeaky belt so you can figure out which
components' mountings need to be adjusted.

    BTW, on cars with multi-ribbed belts, sometimes a squeal can be fixed
just by installing a new belt.  I worked on a friend's Honda Accord, which I
thought needed a new alternator.  It was making all the dreaded
munched-bearings noises, and wax didn't help.  Couldn't find an alternator
right away, so just for the helluvit I put the new belt on the old unit.
 Vi-ola, the noise was gone!  Must have been the fuzzy coating had worn off.
 Gave the car back and saved her $100.

Wax on, wax on...
Gary T
'87 535i,  '88 325is