[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<MISC> BMW 318ti/Compact and non U.S. models

While browsing through BMW UK's web page (hey, I had to test out this new
Netscape 3.0 internet client out on something! <grin>), it's interesting
to note that in Europe, the Compact family has several engine sizes;
there's the 316, 318ti, and the 318tds.  No doubt the 316 would not fare
well here in the U.S. given its small engine (it's a 1.6L) when folks
would be comparing their Hyundais and Geo Metro's to it. :)  The
U.K.-spec'd 318ti, in particular, has a higher top speed than the U.S.
model, 130 mph vs. 116 mph. Is the speed differences in the due to tires
and/or regulatory/safety reasons?

In a way, it's a pity that we don't get the opportunity to see some of the
other European models and marques here in the United States, such as the
Citroen, Alfa, Peugeot, to name a few.  The Citroen Xantia, for instance,
is doing quite well in some parts of Asia and is regarded as the "poor
man's BMW" for those who can't afford the "ultimate driving machine" due
to govt. imposed duties, taxes, etc. or whatever reasons.  For instance, a
fully imported M3 sold in Malaysia is about RM$400K, which is equivalent
to US$160K.  (US$1=RM$2.50)  That's also why Singaporeans for instance,
drool over the prices of cars in the U.S.

Re: the discussion about the 1997 3-series facelift, in the latest issue
of what I belive is European Car (the cover has the M3-version of the
Compact), there is an article that shows the differences between the '96
and '97 3-series and the cosmetic differences are almost impossible to
distinguish.

- --
  David Tay               http://www.taysystems.com/pub/tsr/tsr.html
  Tay Systems Research     Email: tsr@domain.elided / dtay@domain.elided
  3554 Chain Bridge Road, Suite 100           CompuServe: 74213,2471
  Fairfax, VA 22030-2709, USA  TEL.(703)760-9022 / FAX (703)893-1154