[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Artic Blue '79 320i

Reply to: Gene McLan

I believe you requested an Artic Blue '79 320i in Northern CA awhile
back.... I have been restoring an "Ice Blue" 320i with blue interior as
a hobby for the last 2 months. The factory color sticker washed off but
it looks like Arctic Blue to me. I have not considered selling it yet
but I have been made a few offers from guys I work with - I'm not sure
if they are serious. Your request for an Artic Blue in the Northern
California area is quite a coincidence so I had to respond. You will
fall off your chair when you see how much money is in it so far - but I
am "off the streets and out of trouble".

I bought the vehicle from a young lady in the San Jose area who just had
the head rebuilt and then it overheated from a cracked radiator and
"stopped working". The car was very clean so I bought it with the blown
motor. The clear coat is peeling but the body is very clean - never been
hit or painted (no indication of overspray or body work). I pulled the
motor and dropped in an ATK long block rebuilt from the Netherlands; 3
Yr./30K mi warranty. It has 240 miles on it and it is transferable.

I am an engineer so I assembled the motor to my specs:
1. All new cooling hoses
2. All new intake hoses.
3. New BMW Clutch/Throw out Bearing and pivot pin
4. Resurfaced flywheel
5. All new Urethane bushings for the Alternator
6. All new bushings on the smog pump
7. All new fuel hoses in the rear of the vehicle (Hi-Pres. Cloth)
8. New Smog Anti-backfire valve($190.00)
9. New Smog silicon color coded hoses
10. New BMW water pump
11. New rear drum brake shoes and rear brake cylinders
12. All new belts
13. New air conditioner Drier/Filter fully recharged
14. New shifter bushings and shifter linkage joint
15. New Cooling fan sending unit (Low temp)
16. Radiator was rodded and the engine runs at 12:00 on the gauge in
full heat with the air conditioning on!

I cleaned the fuel injection system and tested it prior to installation
and it passed all tests: Injector Drip test, Injector Volume
differential test, Spray pattern and the warm up pressure checked out
too.

The interior is very clean, the driver seat has a small tear. I have the
original dealer window sticker, the original Behr Air conditioner
installation manual, the BMW service record book and owners manual.

The car passed SMOG 1st try and I am impressed with the power.