[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Wheel Advice needed

On my 'new to me' 1992 318is I have 16" BMW Chrome 5 star wheels.  The
day before I bought the car, the prior owner hit a curb and put a "hop"
in the wheel.  By this I mean as you drive, a vibration was VERY
apparent.  I bought the car anyway thinking I could send it away when I
got home to a repair shop.  Fine, took the tire off the wheel (a full can
of flat fix spilled out), and I then had the shop try to balance the
wheel alone.  It was very apparent that it had a 'hop' and the machine
asked for 5.5 ounces of weight.  So I packed it up sent it to the "Wheel
Collision Center" in Bath, PA.  They are very very nice/helpful.  They
got the wheel and straightened it and sent it back.  Now here's the
question.  I got the wheel, mounted, then balanced.  It wanted 4.5 ounces
of weight!!  But the hop was completely gone.  So I took it out on the
interstate, no vibration!  great!  I go back to the office and call the
company, they say it's HIGHLY uncommon for a repaired wheel to spin
something different than "double zeros" (implying no weight needed).  So
they say, it's up to me, live with it or send it back (he said he
couldn't tell me over the phone if they could even fix it or not,
remember, I'm paying all shipping...$15 each way).  So I ask you, should I
worry about this?

David
1988 325is for sale - email me for details
1992 318is finally a bigger car!

  David Moore                       The Wise are Instructed by Reason,
  Computer Dynamics                 The Ordinary by Experience,
  email dmoore@domain.elided    The Stupid by Necessity,
                                    and the Brute by Instinct.
                                    -- author unknown --